Kale, Mushroom and White Bean Stew
Slightly adapted from Love and Lemons
This weekend has been one of the coldest in MN all winter. We have been at sub-zero temperatures for the last 4 days. Last night the temperature dipped to -18 with a wind-chill of -30. It’s just Brrrrr outside with a capital B! A great time to hunker down and spend the day cooking. 🙂
This week I’m all about the kale. And, what’s not to love? It’s a beautiful vegetable, it’s good for you, it’s got a great texture, and it’s so versatile. Pairing it with mushrooms, onions, carrots, and beans….all I can say is “YUM”
This stew was really easy to make. The hardest part was chopping the vegetables. Oh, and by the way, the aroma that wafted through the kitchen while I cooked literally had my mouth watering – true story.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can cannelli beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup apple juice or white wine (I used apple juice since I didn’t have any wine)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, minced
- fresh basil, for garnish
- freshly shredded Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent.
- Add garlic, carrots, mushroom, and rosemary. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms have released their water (3-5 minutes).
- Add apple juice/wine. Cook for about one minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, beans and broth. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Top with basil and cheese.