Mushroom and Chickpea Stew (Vegetarian)
slightly adapted from Love and Lemons
I guess I should admit this, I have an addiction. A chickpea addition. I love chickpeas. Chickpea salad, chickpea stew, chickpea burgers, everything and anything chickpea. So, when I came across this recipe, I just had to make it.
It serves 4-6, so it’s perfect for leftovers.
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, pepper
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms, stir and let them set for a few minutes.
- Add garlic and soy sauce. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are browned and tender.
- Add balsamic vinegar and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, zucchini, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Let cook for a few more minutes (about 3 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth, water and chickpeas. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes, until sweet potatoes are softened.
- Add kale and continue to cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until you are ready to eat.