A different spin on serving black beans. This can be served as a side or as a meal.
These beans have a slight spicy kick and are very filling. You can serve this over rice for an elegant dinner or crush some tortilla chips on top for a less formal meal.
Courtesy of My Recipes
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1.5 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- Sort and wash beans, place in large bowl.
- Cover with water to 2 inches above beans.
- Let stand for 8 hours.
- Drain beans and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add 2 cups water and the next 10 ingredients (through oregano).
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in vinegar and tomatoes.
- Serve over brown rice, if desired.