This soup melds all the classical tastes of a chicken tortilla, and puts it into the warm embrace of a soup.
I hope you enjoy!
Slightly adapted from http://www.backtoherroots.com
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 16 oz jar of your favorite salsa
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 Tbsp (or less for lowered heat) chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 28 oz can hominy, drained
- Place all the ingredients, except the hominy, in the basin of a crockpot. Stir well. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Add hominy to the soup add let sit for 10 minutes in the crockpot, before serving.
- Top with avocado , monterrey jack cheese, fresh cilantro, and sour cream, if desired