Hello happy faces!
I’m not going to lie to you, not going to say this is an easy recipe. What I am going to tell you, these are fantastic! Think mashed potatoes packed with tons of veggies, rolled in Panko and then baked or fried to make a crunchy outside! And, one bite will make you think differently about your vegetables!
courtesy of http://www.ilovevegan.com
- 1.5 pounds of yellow potatoes
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 3/4 salt
Tip: Chop all the vegetables first to save time when putting this together
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalls green onion, finely sliced
- 2 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup baby spinach (lightly packed), finely chopped
- 1/8 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1.5 cups Italian Panko bread crumbs
- Boil potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain and mash with 1/4 cup plant-based milk, 2 tsp vegan butter, and 3/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
- Heat 2-3 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add garlic, onion, carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and green onion. Sauté until tender. Season with salt.
- Mash vegetables into potato mixture. Refrigerate mixture until cool enough to handle.
- Measure 2 Tbsp of potato mixture, roll into a ball and flatten into a 3/4″ patty. Arrange patties on parchment covered cookie sheet. Makes 14 – 18 patties. Chill or freeze so patties are firm before breading.
- In three bowls: 1/2 cup flour in one, well-blended plant-based milk, corn starch and salt in one, and Panko bread crumbs in the third.
- Dip each patty briefly in flour, followed by corn starch thickened milk, and then the bread crumbs. Firmly press the bread crumbs into the patties.
- For frying: Heat 1/2″ oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, fry patties in batches of 1-5 (depending on size of oil vat), flipping after 1-1.5 minutes. Each patty should be golden brown and fully heated within 2.5-3 minutes.
- For baking: Preheat oven to 450°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake croquettes for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for 5 or 10 minutes more.