Hello sunny Sunday people,
It’s been a great weekend. A little housekeeping, a little yard work, and a little relaxation! A perfect combination.
Talk about a perfect combination, this ratatouille – the perfect combination of spices with the perfect combination of vegetables, bring this french stew a flair of the Indian combining to make a huge bowl of YUM!!!
courtesy of wwww.apronstringsblog.com
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus a few tablespoons, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large shallot (or two medium), diced
- 7-8 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 2 large red peppers, deseeded, and sliced
- 4 lbs fresh tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 2 1/2 lbs zucchini, diced into 1″ cubes
- 1 large eggplant, diced into 1″ cubes
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander
- Preheat oven to 450°. Toss zucchini with salt, pepper, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Spread out in one layer on a baking sheet (you’ll have to do this in batches). Bake each for about 10 minutes, until cooked through and getting golden brown on the bottom. Put the finished batches aside in a bowl as you go.
- Toss the eggplant with a tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of cardamom, a smidge more salt and pepper. Repeat the same process as you did with the zucchini. Add the roasted eggplant to the bowl of zucchini.
- As you roast the zucchini and eggplant, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add onion and shallot and cook until softened and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Puree the red peppers and add to the pot. Season again with a little salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until it becomes thick like jam. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Puree the tomatoes and add them to the pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. The mixture will start to resemble a sauce consistency. Add a tsp of cumin and a tsp of cardamom.
- To finish, once the mixture has attained sauce status, sir in the garam masala and coriander. Carefully add the zucchini and eggplant. Cook for 10 more minutes.