Slightly modified from http://www.emilybites.com.
Talk about ridiculously quick and easy to make, this casserole was put together in under 15 minutes (including chopping time). I walked in the door at 4:36, and we were eating by 5:30, truth!
Not only is this casserole fast and easy, it is incredibly delicious. The proof… my husband ate two helpings, TWO helpings! Of course, I had to follow suit, oh come on twist my arm!
Not only is the chicken parm casserole so cheesy, so sauce, it is somewhat “healthy-ified” (say what?!!) This casserole replaces all the bread of traditional chicken parmesan, with Italian croutons, more sauce, and two types of cheese. All the flavor less fat and calories! SCORE! Double SCORE!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 cups your favorite marinara sauce
- 11/2 cups reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 3.5 oz Italian flavored croutons, roughly crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly mist 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread cubed pieces of chicken across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle minced garlic and basil evenly over chicken.
- Spread the marinara sauce across chicken.
- On top of sauce, sprinkle 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1 oz of the parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the crushed croutons on top and follow with the remaining cheeses.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.