I just want to say this is one of those recipes that I love to make, but forget I have until I dive deep in the recipe stack. I love the ease of making the polenta. I love the way the chili and the salsa dance together, exploding in a Mexican bliss in my mouth! Ayiiiiiiee!
To make this vegetarian, omit the turkey and use meatless chili.
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
for tamale mix
- 2 cups low calorie prepared chili (I used Amy’s Organic)
- 1 cup corn salsa (I used World Market Sweet Corn Salsa)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb ground turkey, browned
for the polenta
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large sauce pan.
- Add sea salt.
- Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, whisking constantly (About 15 minutes).
- Turn out and spread evenly in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
for the pie
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 8 x 11.5 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown the ground turkey into crumbles. Drain thoroughly.
- Using 6 polenta squares that have been sliced lengthwise to make 12 pieces, layer the bottom of the baking dish with polenta.
- Evenly spread prepared chili over polenta.
- Evenly spread the browned, crumbled turkey over the chili.
- Evenly spread the salsa over the turkey.
- Use the remaining polenta slices to layer on top of the salsa.
- Evenly spread the cheese on the top.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.