Kalyn’s stuffed cabbage casserole
When I decided to make this for dinner, I was a little worried we wouldn’t like it. I knew I liked cabbage, but I was concerned the cabbage taste would take over the entire dish. I was pleasantly surprised when the cabbage only complemented all the other ingredients. It mingled well with the tomatoes, onions, and rice. And, the cheese on top was perfect.
courtesy of skinnytaste
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 heads green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat large skillet on medium heat. Brown the ground beef. When thoroughly cooked, remove meat and set aside.
- In the same plan, add one tsp of the olive oil and the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and smoked paprika. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, ground beef, and water.
- Simmer until it’s hot and slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While beef and tomato mixture simmers, cut, core, and chop cabbage into 1″ pieces.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan or dutch oven.
- Add cabbage and cook over medium-high heat until cabbage is wilted and about half cooked, turning it over several times so it all wilts and cooks.season with salt and pepper.
- When the meat and tomato mixture is finished, add the cooked brown rice. Combine thoroughly.
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Starting with the cabbage, layer half the cabbage on the bottom, them half the meat mixture. Layer the remaining cabbage, and then the remaining meat mixture.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle on cheese, bake for 15 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
This dish freezes well.